Monday, February 26, 2018

Silver Swan (Elite Kings Club #1): 3.5 Stars


Author: Amo Jones
Length: 261 pgs.

I picked this book up as a freebie during a price drop and after seeing a friend give it 4 stars I couldn’t wait to read it! I was not disappointed. I could not put this book down and flew threw it in about 2 days.

I wasn’t sure initially what I wanted to rate it. Some of the writing had grammatical errors and a few passages read as amateurish. And I’m not the grammar police but I can’t help but take note of those things in a published book. But the content and the storyline made me overlook those small mistakes.

Let’s focus on the storyline for a minute. It revolves around Madison Montgomery, who is well known among her peers due to the fact that her mother shot and killed her father’s mistress before turning the gun on herself. So it’s just Madison and her dad, who’s pretty much absentee due to his line of work.. However her dad’s just gotten remarried, so they move to a new city and Madison joins an elite prep school where she instantly befriends a girl named Tatum. Tatum is likable and funny, and they quickly add another girl to their group that they meet by the name of Tillie. I loved the dynamic between these three girls. Their dialogue was youthful and true to their age most of the time with the lingo they would use (can you tell I’m older than them based on the fact that I just used the word lingo?) My only issue with their triad was that the similarity between Tatum & Tillie’s names confused me at times. That’s probably just me though…

Madison quickly learns she has a new stepbrother, Nate, and he and his 9 friends make up what is known as the Elite Kings Club. There’s a lot of hearsay about what actually goes on with these guys and they’re not the nicest guys. The way they size up Madison and eye her evilly-especially the ringleader Bishop-gave me the chills. Tatum immediately warns Madison to be careful, and once she finds out Nate is Madison’s stepbrother she reiterates this warning. In fact Madison’s warned many times throughout the book to watch her back.

Shit hits the fan instantly between Maddy and the Kings. This is probably why people refer to this book as being insane. Right away she’s lured to a remote location, taken hostage and asked seemingly random questions. Maddy has no idea why she’s being asked these questions, but the whole ordeal definitely made me feel unsettled and anxious as to what was going to happen next. You know there is definitely more to the Kings that meets the eye.

Nate goes back and forth between being a sleezeball creepo trying to scare Maddy, and being an overly affectionate step brother. His protective attitude towards Maddy I didn’t really buy considering that they’d only just met but I let that slide. The thing about Silver Swan is that you have to suspend the rules of a typical teenage reality in order to accept what’s being laid out in front of you. Because the way the Kings behave, and the things they do to Maddy to terrorize, assault and stalk her, would not go unanswered or excused in the real world. (At least I hope they wouldn’t.)

Maddy finds herself drawn into a erotic cat and mouse game with Bishop. He is admittedly delicious to read but he is a bad, bad guy. He is not nice to Maddy at all, and he tells her straight up that he hates her. By his actions and the way he treats her for the first 2/3 of the book, we have no reason to disbelieve him. This is where I started to feel conflicted about this book. I LOVED the events that unfolded. I loved all the action and confrontations and scheming and the naughty nature of the Kings. I did. But the relationship between Maddy and Bishop- while Amo Jones gives us some delicious encounters that seem beyond the reach of actual teenage behavior-to me seemed definitely mentally and emotionally abusive.

I’m not on any ethical or moral committee and I’m definitely not a saint, but the fact that Maddy made no attempt to preserve her dignity and self-respect by defending herself or standing up to Bishop at any point, really bothered me (and as I’m totally into super dark erotica no one is more surprised by this than me)! But the whole Maddy/Bishop thing went beyond dark erotica. It was hate sex. Literally, Bishop tells her he hates her as he’s f#*^ing her. And Maddy chalks this all up to him being a bad boy, or mysterious, or blah blah blah. Not once does she say you know what, I don’t deserve to be spoken to like this. In fact she actually blows off a really sweet guy in order to continue degrading herself with Bishop.

She’s also the first to defend Nate, even after a scene in the woods where the Kings attack her AGAIN. She says that despite all he’s done, she knows Nate wouldn’t hurt her. Oh, really? Because I thought that’s EXACTLY what they were doing to you in the woods. WTF Maddy.

Despite all the above, I DID like Maddy. She was funny, strong (just not when it comes to men apparently), self-assured, a loyal friend, and gun savvy. On the downside, she is INSANELY naïve- when her friends make offhanded yet obvious comments that are meant to warn her about one thing or another, she shrugs them off or moves on to a different subject. It seems like clues are being thrown at her left and right that she is either in danger or that things are not what they seem, and she ignores them or makes excuses.

And it does seem like everyone else knows what’s going on aside from Maddy. I’m not saying this is really the case, but throughout the entire book you can’t really be sure who is actually trustworthy and that adds to the whole sense of foreboding and unease.

Speaking of unease, I have to give Amo Jones credit for creating this completely disconcerting atmosphere. You constantly feel as though the main character is in danger, you’re just never really sure why or from who exactly. And because of that you HAVE to keep reading. I’ve already purchased book #2, Broken Puppet for $2.99 and I’ve started reading other books since finishing this one a few days ago, but I think I may actually have to set those aside for the moment so that I can continue on this journey with Maddy and get my questions answered!!

So overall it was an addicting and exciting read, the only downsides for me being the struggle with the Bishop/Maddie dynamic that I’m still trying to understand-and the fact that he became a softer version of himself towards the end of the book which was hard to swallow as being a realistic transformation, after being built up as a robotic asshole for most of the book-and the bits of writing that bothered me here and there. But those are small issues that won’t keep me from continuing the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment