Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Pestilence (The Four Horsemen #1): 4 Stars


Author: Laura Thalassa
Length: 382 pgs.

This book gave me all the feels.

I was able to read this via Kindle Unlimited. I started reading it mostly out of curiosity – a book about one of the four horseman bringing on the apocalypse? And he gets it on (supposedly) with a human female? And it has great ratings? How and why does all this come about?

Of course it was written much better than that. All my questions were answered and curiosities put to rest. I loved the main characters – Sara Burns and Pestilence (and let’s not forget Trixie Skillz). After Sara’s actions bring them irreversibly together, she and Pestilence journey through mostly evacuated cities as Pestilence spreads plague in his task to wipe out the human race. Along the way, the unlikely pair encounter drastically different members of the human race. They experience hostility, fear, hatred, and-most surprisingly of all-understanding and forgiveness. The author was great at bringing so many emotions to the page, emotions that are in turn seamlessly absorbed by the reader.

While reading this story I laughed, I cried, I felt alternately hopeful and saddened for the human race depicted by Laura Thalassa (which, let’s face it, isn’t so far off from reality). I really wasn’t sure how everything was going to wrap up and what kind of ending I had coming. Fortunately, the ending that we get is so much better than I could’ve hoped for. It was perfect and completely warmed my heart.

4 stars, definitely recommend reading for yourself because it’s hard to review without spoiling everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment