Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Dark Breaks the Dawn: 4 Stars


Author: Sara B. Larson
Length: 320 pgs.


I really enjoyed this book, and didn’t want to put it down. It’s been a while since a fantasy novel grabbed me, but this did the trick. The writing is beautiful, and makes me want to go back and read that copy of Defy (also by Sara Larson) that’s been on my kindle for 3+ years and I haven’t gotten to. I loved reading about the differences between the Light and Dark Draiolon, their respective kingdoms and rulers, and how magic works in this world. With so many books in this genre sometimes they tend to blur together so I appreciate an author’s attempt to lend some uniqueness to their story.

The heroine, Evelayn, is immediately likeable. She’s determined, strong, and it’s easy to feel for her after she suffers the devastating loss of both her parents in a decade long war. Her magic doesn’t come easy to her but she has no choice but to take a crash course in order to take up the fight against the relentless King Bain.

The love story introduced in this book is charming and pleasant. Larson gives us the satisfaction of letting it play out naturally, not hindering it with the popular use of inner conflict that prevents so many book couples from ever getting together. Unfortunately this is only the first book of a duology, so while we get to see two likeable people fall in love, we’re not given the security of knowing they’ll have their happily ever after.

The story took a few turns that definitely gave me the creeps: a foreboding agreement of sorts between the Queen and a magical entity who will one day collect on an unnamed favor, a Dark prince who has something brewing behind the scenes, a general sense that danger is lurking just outside of our peripheral vision. Larson is excellent at propelling the story towards a disturbing and cliffhanger climax.

I’m glad I picked this up as I initially had brushed it off as yet another YA fantasy novel. Will definitely read the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment