Monday, June 4, 2018

The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust #1): 5 Stars


Author: Craig Shaeffer
Length: 374 pgs.

The Long Way Down is one of those books that I’ve had on my TBR forever, was FREE to me with Kindle Unlimited, and I just kept putting it off and putting it off – despite the great reviews, despite wanting to “get to it eventually”, etc. etc. Then finally I canceled my KU subscription, and with the impending date of cancellation just a week away, I decided to take advantage of it and FINALLY start the Daniel Faust series.

And so of course it is AMAZING and heart-stopping, tragic and shocking; a roller-coaster of emotions and just EVERYTHING.

I read and enjoyed the author’s Harmony Black series (books 1-3) but to be honest, they have nothing on book #1 in the Daniel Faust series. I was hooked immediately, when within the first few pages Daniel comes face to face with a fractured soul-ghost thingy in the sewers. The rest of the story plays out like a well-written blockbuster movie, complete with a romantic sub-plot, moments that make you gasp in surprise and horror, obstacles you’re not sure the main character can overcome, and an unrelenting countdown to the end of the world.

One of the thoughts I had while reading the book is that I really like Daniel Faust. He’s a kind, good person who sticks up for his friends and does the right thing – even in the face of seemingly unsurmountable odds. His complete likeability would have saved the book from an unfortunate plot or less-than-stellar writing, but neither of these things exist in The Long Way Down. From beginning to end, it pulls at your heart-strings, scares you, disturbs you, and more than satisfies any craving one might have for a great urban fantasy novel.

Shaeffer’s creativity is mind-blowing. The things that he comes up with, whether it’s a small detail or a complex conspiracy, are unfathomable to me. I guess this is why he’s the writer and I’m the reader. I’m good with that arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment