Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Up Next: Audiobook??

I’m having a hard time finding an audiobook via kindle unlimited! If I’m being honest I don’t really utilize my KU subscription like I should. I mostly use it for audiobooks so I have a wishlist on Goodreads specifically for KU books with audio companions. However none of the ones I’ve tried have grabbed me like I want them to. I tried listening to Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands #1) but barely made it 10 minutes in because the narrator, Amy McFadden, is one of my least favorite narrators of all time (let’s just say she completely ruined The Paper Magician for me) so I quickly gave up on it. I do love the premise of the book though! Here’s the blurb:

”A week ago, seventeen-year-old Lela Santos’s best friend, Nadia, killed herself. Today, thanks to a farewell ritual gone awry, Lela is standing in paradise, looking upon a vast gated city in the distance—hell. No one willingly walks through the Suicide Gates, into a place smothered in darkness and infested with depraved creatures. But Lela isn’t just anyone—she’s determined to save her best friend’s soul, even if it means sacrificing her eternal afterlife.

As Lela struggles to find Nadia, she’s captured by the Guards, enormous, not-quite-human creatures that patrol the dark city’s endless streets. Their all-too-human leader, Malachi, is unlike them in every way except one: his deadly efficiency. When he meets Lela, Malachi forms his own plan: get her out of the city, even if it means she must leave Nadia behind. Malachi knows something Lela doesn’t—the dark city isn’t the worst place Lela could end up, and he will stop at nothing to keep her from that fate.


I will have to move that book to the wishlist I have for Kindle Unlimited books that don’t have audio companions, because I can’t listen to a whole 12 something hours of Amy McFadden but I still want to read the book.

Then yesterday I started listening to Shadow’s Edge (Night Prowler #1) and I just couldn’t get into it. I made it about 100 pages in via the audiobook but it’s a lot of internal monologue with one of those instant attractions between her and the male MC whom she’s not supposed to like but can’t help it. So far nothing happened to really move the story forward except the main characters meeting. Other than that it’s been kind of banal. The scenes seem to be very drawn out or maybe it’s just that way to me since I’m not really interested. I zone out during the narration and when I come back down to earth the characters are still going on about the same damn thing. So I moved that to my DNF graveyard this morning because I’ve no interest in reading the kindle version.

So right now I have five other audiobooks from Kindle Unlimited on my phone and they are:

Never Kiss A Rake Historical Romance
Sold to the Sheikh BDSM/Erotica
Off the Record Contemporary Romance – not really my jam, but it sounded cute so I thought I’d give it a try.
Reliquary Paranormal/Fantasy
Highlander Betrayed (Guardians of the Targe #1) Historical/Fantasy

It will just depend on what kind of mood I’m in when I leave work today which book I start listening to because I’ll start listening on my commute home.

Fingers crossed the next one is a winner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment