Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter #1): 3 Stars


Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Length: 309 pgs.
This was an okay read for me. I enjoyed it-but there were a few things that turned me off about the book.

The writing seemed a little more befitting of young adult or something along those lines. I’ve read a lot of PNR lately and found superior writing in other books like Pure Healing and Mated in Treason. That’s not to say the writing is bad. Maybe other people who have read the book will know what I mean. It just feels very bare-minimum at times and moves from day to day very quickly, but on the upside that made the book easy to get through. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that this is light reading.

Additionally in the beginning of the book the writer mentions some things offhand that confused me and made me doublecheck that this actually was the first book in the series and I hadn’t missed a prequel or something. It has to do with a character named Julian and his origins. She also very casually adds bits and pieces about Amanda’s sisters being involved in magic/supernatural forces in one way or another, but doesn’t ever talk about how this began or why Amanda’s family is like this which would’ve been very interesting to know. And then we meet Julian’s parents, and I was completely thrown off by that. Again, I checked to see that I hadn’t missed another book, but no, this is the first book in the series.

I did like the history of the Dark-Hunters that the writer created. Each vampire series has its own world-building and history and I liked the mythology aspect of this one with the addition of the Apollites and the other gods/goddesses who made appearances or were mentioned. That was definitely a plus for me that the author managed to combine mythology and paranormal in a unique way. I love that she imagined up different types of Hunters and Vampires!

I liked the ending and the little twist thrown in by the author there even if I did suspect that Amanda was up to something just before the climax. Overall I did enjoy this book and may continue the series at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment