Monday, April 30, 2018

The Invisible Library: 2 Stars


Author: Genevieve Cogman
Length: 10 long hours, 31 painful minutes

This book was a total flop for me, which is such a bummer because it had such great potential. I fell in love with the premise and when the book had a price drop last year I snatched it up. Unfortunately, it did not meet my expectations at all. The storyline was completely confusing and mindboggling, with the librarian Irene and her trainee Kai chasing down a missing book for unknown reasons and every circumstance possible managing to get in their way. The action was painfully underwhelming and didn’t do the story any favors. Instead of being exciting, the magic that the librarians have the ability to perform in some cases was written in a way that made it the exact opposite. How can cyborg, mind-controlled alligators, evil faeries and a rogue librarian who hijacks human skin be uninteresting?? I was bored out of my mind for 99% of the story with the 1% being the climax and part of my interest stemming from the fact that I knew the book was FINALLY going to end.

I think I wanted this to be like the Chronicles of St. Mary's series (see Just One Damned Thing After Another) which is the case when I come across any sort of time/dimension travel storyline, because that series is epically exciting. That’s never, ever the case and I never seem to learn my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment