Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Darkfever (Fever, #1): 4 Stars


Author: Karen Marie Moning
Length: 342 pgs.
So I finally got around to reading Darkfever and finding out what all the fuss is about!

This is one of the smarter urban fantasies I’ve read. The writing is really good. Details and definitions of magical items and beings are meant to be catalogued in the reader’s mind and remembered. And, surprisingly (to me), it’s pretty freakin’ scary.

The main character, Mac, becomes introduced to the faerie world after her sister is murdered. We’re given information little by little as it’s learned firsthand by Mac, so we share in her strange fascination with all this new and overwhelming knowledge. I loved Mac and her uniqueness, the way her peppiness and style clashed with those around her. She may be in a completely new world with no idea what the hell was going on but she definitely stayed true to herself throughout the book.

I loved that she and Jericho weren’t insta-lovers. In fact they’re completely the opposite, but they both must use the other to get the information they’re seeking.

I loved the faerie history with its creepy Unseelies, the super freaky Gray Man and the unprecedented V’Lane. Basically the whole world that was created here. No wonder this book is so popular and the series so beloved. I was not expecting it to be so dark but that made me love it even more. I can’t wait to get to #2 and find out what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment